Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Cultures Shocked. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you have attempted to register and are not receiving the authorization email, please email culturesshockedmods at gmail dot com with your user name and the email you registered with so we can manually approve you.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Youth For Understanding (YFU)
Topic Started: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:26 pm (2,800 Views)
Matsunoki
Member Avatar

I've been a volunteer for YFU for years now. If anyone has any questions, let me know! I mostly work with students coming to the US but have also done a little bit of helping on the Study Abroad (formerly American Overseas) side. Otherwise, feel free to discuss YFU and their application process, procedures, etc. here!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NicoleH
Member Avatar

I've been a volunteer for YFU since 2004. I have helped in a variety of ways but sadly there is not a single YFU student in my area this year. I'm here to answer any questions you may have.

Matsunoki
Member Avatar

NicoleH
Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:16 pm
I've been a volunteer for YFU since 2004. I have helped in a variety of ways but sadly there is not a single YFU student in my area this year. I'm here to answer any questions you may have.
Did you hear that Indiana got moved to the Southeast District? So we're in the same district now, haha! Who'd have thought :D

NicoleH
Member Avatar

I saw you liked the southeast district's Facebook page the other day and I thought that was kind of strange but now it makes sense.

Matsunoki
Member Avatar

The latest YFU magazine's been posted! Check it out!

NicoleH
Member Avatar

It was emailed to me yesterday. I'm so glad that YFU now has a magazine for alumni.
Edited by NicoleH, Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:20 pm.

Matsunoki
Member Avatar

NicoleH
Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:20 pm
It was emailed to me yesterday. I'm so glad that YFU now has a magazine for alumni.
Yeah, they've been *really* good too! The only thing that I don't want to say bothers, but seems potentially confusing to people to me is that by alumni, they actually mean anyone who's been part of their programs including host families and volunteers.

I'm really thrilled with their changes over the last year or so. I was part of a focus/feedback group discussing changes they could make a few years ago and it's awesome to see the proposed ideas being implemented.

NicoleH
Member Avatar

I saw in the magazine that there is some sort of alumni event in Washington D.C. If only I lived closer and there were people going that I knew. The area rep here and I were talking about trying to get some alumni events going here in Chattanooga. Also my area rep was mentioned in my magazine for a new Volkswagon scholarship!

Really? I had no idea the alumni aspect included host families and volunteers. That's fine to have something for them but I don't think they should be included with people who went out as exchange students. Just my personal opinion there.

Matsunoki
Member Avatar

NicoleH
Mon Feb 2, 2015 4:37 pm
I saw in the magazine that there is some sort of alumni event in Washington D.C. If only I lived closer and there were people going that I knew. The area rep here and I were talking about trying to get some alumni events going here in Chattanooga. Also my area rep was mentioned in my magazine for a new Volkswagon scholarship!

Really? I had no idea the alumni aspect included host families and volunteers. That's fine to have something for them but I don't think they should be included with people who went out as exchange students. Just my personal opinion there.
I can see why they did that, and at the same time it feels like there are two definitions of "alumni" being used simultaneously (and still separately). It's odd. It's working right now, at least, so that's good.

I wish I could go to the DC events too! It stinks that it's so far. I think I'd try to stop by that office if I were in DC for other reasons though. It looks awesome.

cerejeira

I always thought it was cool that YFU offered themed or specialty programs, like a Nature program in Estonia or a Basketball one in Lithuania. Do either of you have any idea how popular these types of options are with American outbounds?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Program-Specific Questions · Next Topic »
Add Reply