Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Cultures Shocked. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you have attempted to register and are not receiving the authorization email, please email culturesshockedmods at gmail dot com with your user name and the email you registered with so we can manually approve you.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Exchange Nostalgia
Topic Started: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:51 pm (1,899 Views)
Matsunoki
Member Avatar

What's been reminding you all of your host countries lately? My latest was getting RumChata that came with two cans of coffee that reminded me of the coffee available in the vending machines in Japan. And a few weeks ago in New York City I got to have fresh simit for the first time since 2007 - it was heavenly, especially with the honey I picked up from the CVS down the street :D . Technically I can get simit here, but it's only available frozen and is 2/$5

Yummmm:
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NicoleH
Member Avatar

My husband just bought me a huge bowl of fried rice and brought it to me at work. I use to walk across the street or down the street and buy fried rice for $1.25 for lunch on Thursday when in SE Asia with my housemates.

heidi

La fiesta de la manzana...It's a sort of huge fair/carnival in my host city that happens every year in early February. As in...right now. Ahh, homesickness. But the great thing is that my friends are taking videos for me, and I'm watching the programming live on Youtube right now. One of my favorite bands is playing today, and another of my favorite bands is playing tomorrow. Watching it makes me feel like I'm there (well, until I look out the window and get a glimpse of the rolling hills of Pennsylvania), so I'm loving life.

mburucuja

I found a 2-liter of GuaranĂ¡ soda at the grocery store yesterday!

mourinho
Member Avatar

mburucuja
Sat Feb 7, 2015 12:22 am
I found a 2-liter of GuaranĂ¡ soda at the grocery store yesterday!

Oh god I love GuaranĂ¡. I get some every time I go to Portuguese/Brazilian markets in Boston. I wonder if I could find it closer to home. It's got such a strange flavor but it's so gooood.

mburucuja

Landed in Paraguay 6 years ago today. :)
This is one of the first years where it actually seems like a happy, fun anniversary instead of it just hurting because I'm not there.
Edited by mburucuja, Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:43 am.

Matsunoki
Member Avatar

There's a new volunteer at one of the places I help out who lived in Japan for a few years and loved it. We spent some time talking about it :) It's been a while since I've been able to talk to someone who's spent time there.

mourinho
Member Avatar

For Valentine's Day, my boyfriend got me Portuguese soda (Sumol)! Unfortunately he got me one of the flavors I hate (pineapple). The thought was nice, though.

heidi

mourinho, that's so sweet! :)

I'm chatting with one of my best friends from Argentina about all of the fun, amazing things we did...I love the fact that I'm not the only one who values those moments so, so much, that I can share them with someone else who really understands them (instead of trying to tell my US friends about my silly antics in Argentina). These sort of things seem to mean more to me everyday, especially as I've gotten not-so-close lately with one of my best Argentinian friends. But another one of my friends just finished high school, another recently got married and is pregnant, and my boyfriend will be moving to another city to start university in a few weeks. It's kind of frightening to think how different everything will be when I get back, but I'm so happy for my friends and so happy that we keep sharing all of these things with each other even though I've been gone for seven months. I love the Argentinian half of my life so much. This paragraph doesn't make much sense, hehe, but I'm a very happy returnee today :)

mburucuja

I wish the Turkish restaurant wasn't so expensive so that I could go there more, but I love that I have a good Turkish restaurant in city with very few Turks. :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Life After Exchange · Next Topic »
Add Reply