Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Cultures Shocked. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you have attempted to register and are not receiving the authorization email, please email culturesshockedmods at gmail dot com with your user name and the email you registered with so we can manually approve you.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Germany
Topic Started: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:09 pm (881 Views)
trisha

I know we all love some Deutschland. ;)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

heidi

DEUTSCHLAND! I'm a CBYX semi so I'm getting way ahead of myself, but why not? Hehe.

What's the school day like in Germany? Is the schedule the same every day or does it vary? Is it hard to convince Germans to speak to you in German (I've heard that Germans tend to switch to English with foreigners, which worries me a little bit)?

Also, more CBYX-specifically, which organizations have language camps? What is language camp like?

mburucuja

I may be a liaison for a German student this year. While I've obviously met German students before, I don't know a whole ton about German culture. What are some of the challenges Germans often face in the US? I'm going to guess a comparative lack of independence and feeling like friendships are shallow are near the top of the list, but I'm not really certain...

mburucuja

Update: I will be a liaison for a German girl. :)

Bluecat
Member Avatar

We are hosting a German boy for the first time come this August! So excited :)

FordPrefect

heidi
Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:32 pm
Is it hard to convince Germans to speak to you in German (I've heard that Germans tend to switch to English with foreigners, which worries me a little bit)?
I'm also a bit worried about that, but I've heard that if you just ask them to speak to you in German and explain why, they should be pretty happy to switch!

heidi

FordPrefect
Mon Apr 3, 2017 5:21 am
heidi
Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:32 pm
Is it hard to convince Germans to speak to you in German (I've heard that Germans tend to switch to English with foreigners, which worries me a little bit)?
I'm also a bit worried about that, but I've heard that if you just ask them to speak to you in German and explain why, they should be pretty happy to switch!
I haven't lived in Germany, but I live in Norway, which is an even stronger switching-to-English-when-they-hear-you're-foreign country than Germany, and this problem really only lasts until you are comfortable using the local language. Once you sound "used to it", people don't switch anymore. I think the last time someone tried to switch to English with me was two months after I came to Norway, and you should get "used" to speaking the language even quicker since you'll be living with a host family :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Europe · Next Topic »
Add Reply