Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Cultures Shocked. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you have attempted to register and are not receiving the authorization email, please email culturesshockedmods at gmail dot com with your user name and the email you registered with so we can manually approve you.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Language Learning
Topic Started: Tue Feb 3, 2015 12:22 pm (2,521 Views)
mourinho
Member Avatar

mburucuja
Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:23 pm
I'd at least give it a try. Spanish grammar isn't too complicated, so I'm sure you could figure it out. :)
I understand a lot of Spanish grammar, but I don't know.It's not like I dislike Brazilian Portuguese, because I think it's super cute, and it's not like I don't understand it, either, but trying to learn something else using Brazilian Portuguese isn't going to work for me. The differences in vocab and grammar between PT-PT and PT-BR aren't much when it comes to understanding, but for learning another language, it's too much. It just feels off. Someday I'll spend some time in a Spanish-speaking country and I'll learn it then.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mburucuja

azafran
Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:42 pm
I didn't know Duolingo had a Portuguese for Spanish speakers course! That's so cool. Going to start that asap.
Yep! It's in beta and there are def a few glitches, but it's functional and sooo much easier than going Portuguese -> Spanish -> English -> Spanish -> Portuguese in my head on every question.

Matsunoki
Member Avatar

Turkish is now available on Duolingo!

mburucuja

Duolingo says I can read 60-some percent of Portuguese text now. I'm level 10 in Portuguese after like a month, and level 2 in Turkish after a week. :)

mourinho
Member Avatar

I'm trying Duolingo for French now that I know a lot more from Memrise. I tested halfway into level 7. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think the recordings are lower quality than a lot of the ones in the Memrise courses I used, so it's really hard to understand what someone is saying, not just because the person doesn't enunciate, but because it just sounds fuzzy. There are some things I like about both sites (like how Duolingo does a bit more with grammar than Memrise, and the translation is cool, plus the estimates on how much of the language the person can understand) so it's hard to choose one, but doing both can be repetitive. Not sure what I'll do.

I also finally erased Portuguese from my Duolingo profile because I was sick of it showing a lower level than my actual ability just because I use Portuguese grammar rather than Brazilian. I was getting really depressed about it :P

Louise

CS reminded me about memrise and I'm doing it for Swedish now. The last week I'm really getting back into Swedish haha. I also use the teach yourself series. It's what I use as my non-computer learning. I'm trying out lang-8 as well. It's very nerve racking to post something. But after one corrected entry I feel like it's very helpful. It's the type of exercises we would do in language classes so this is great.

Rosetta Stone is my go-to, but I didn't pay so yeah. It's so fun to play.

mourinho
Member Avatar

Did I already mention Selingua here? It's a free program for a few different languages. Some of you might like it. It's not super advanced, I don't think, but it's decent.

cerejeira

It's nice to be immersed in a language again! As much as I like languages I've never really taken formal classes. I did for Spanish in high school but I had already learned Portuguese so that was a breeze. And I learned some Persian with classes, but while in Tajikistan. It's great (also: awful) to be forced to interact with Italians for my job, but I've been able to learn how to explain certain parts of the exhibits I work with in Italian and people can understand me. Gonna try to go to some meetup groups soon and hopefully practice in a more informal environment.

FordPrefect
Member Avatar

I find that Duolingo isn't very effective if I'm trying to learn how to have conversations, because they don't actually give an insight on why something is spoken like that.

I find that Duolingo is great for a quick memory restart, Babbel is good for learning phrases, Memrise is a great flashcard app to learn new words, and all of these websites and more just make me daydream about going on exchange even more!

smithie630

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on learning Darija? It's such a specific language, I know. Most of the obvious options (class at community college, rosetta stone) just teach Modern Standard Arabic. Right now, the only thing I've heard of is a Peace Corps textbook in Moroccan Arabic.

I'm planning on volunteering there at a women's center where the women likely would not speak English, so I want to prepare adequately before I leave.
Edited by smithie630, Thu May 25, 2017 11:13 pm.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Miscellaneous Exchange-Related · Next Topic »
Add Reply