Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Cultures Shocked. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you have attempted to register and are not receiving the authorization email, please email culturesshockedmods at gmail dot com with your user name and the email you registered with so we can manually approve you.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Outbound Chat Thread
Topic Started: Tue Feb 3, 2015 5:22 pm (1,162 Views)
Matsunoki
Member Avatar

I see that we have quite a few outbounds now, so I wanted to start a place for you all to talk in general about what you're up to in the application and preparation process. Please don't hesitate to start other threads as well for any other topics you want to talk about, too :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

heidi

I know I'm not the only outbound out here :) I'm applying to CBYX and YES Abroad...I should know whether I'm a YES semifinalist at the end of the month, and I should hear back from CBYX in mid-March...so much waiting...but every day is a day closer!

azafran

Quote:

...so much waiting..

Jumpin' in to say the waiting never ends :) Though this is probably the toughest/most nerve-wracking, as you're waiting to find out whether you go on exchange or not, even once you know if/where you're going you wait anxiously for your where in that country you'll be, your host family, and then you wait to leave (and then you wait anxiously/fearfully/fill-in-emotion for when you leave).... being an ES is chock-full of waiting : (

heidi

So much waiting. I'm trying to think of it in small steps, though...Right now I'm waiting for my in-home interview (tomorrow) and then for YES semifinalist notifications (20 days). It's pretty challenging because I'm in the super-excited-but-trying-not-to-get-my-hopes-up stage...But optimism is key!

unanina

How did your in-home interview go, heidi?!
-
So my mom told me that I would definitely be going abroad this summer since the plans fell through last year. But, today my dad told me we literally have no money to pay for it. I'm really worried because I have worked really hard to fundraise (although most of it has been unsuccessful) and devoted a ton of time to exchange. ugh, it stinks that my family is struggling to send me abroad for barely 2 months.

heidi

It went wonderful! It was really easy, especially since I've known the volunteer who interviewed me for several years.

Ugh, that stinks. It's too late to apply to YES/CBYX (the scholarships I applied to), but maybe your Rotary club has some sort of local scholarship? I think CIEE has some summer scholarships too.

unanina

Awe that's so great! I hope you get a scholarship-- did you see CBYX is being cut in half next year? The Dept. of State won't be funding it as much which is such a shame.

I would apply for it too, but I have some connections that allow me to study in Germany/EU in the future. Plus, my parents won't let me go for a year.

heidi

I know! It's really a shame - thankfully the petition has been getting a lot of signatures, and I know a lot of alumni/participants/applicants have written to their representatives...This year Bundestag is making up for the reduced funding, which is wonderful for this year, but not so great for the future. Hopefully it'll turn out well.

That's cool, though! Where are you looking to apply for the summer?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Applying to & Preparing for Exchange · Next Topic »
Add Reply