Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Cultures Shocked. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you have attempted to register and are not receiving the authorization email, please email culturesshockedmods at gmail dot com with your user name and the email you registered with so we can manually approve you.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Our homes...
Topic Started: Fri Mar 6, 2015 4:53 pm (8,067 Views)
KThoune
Member Avatar

Since a lot of us live on our own, whether we rent or own or whatever... I figured a thread of our homes could be fun... so I will start.. I have a lot of pics of our new home.. I will pick just a few to share for now...

The outside from the street:
Posted Image

Our kitchen:
Posted Image

Downstairs bathroom:
Posted Image

Master bedroom (downstairs):
Posted Image

what they call living room, but we will use as dining room:
Posted Image

what they call dining room we will use as living room:
Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matsunoki
Member Avatar

I love your house! I can't wait to see what you do to it, too! You said both bathrooms are getting redone, right?

This is the front of our house:

Spoiler: click to toggle

It's a typical 3 bed/1 bath '60s ranch that had 2 additions added in the '90s: a master closet and bath and a living room and screened-in porch off of the kitchen area. There was a lot of crappy amateur work though that we've had to and are still making up for, and the old owner was an epic slob so there's been a LOT of cleaning to do (think big stains on the walls where his dogs had sat against them, nicotine buildup all over the porch from him smoking cigars there, etc.).

Our biggest change has been the kitchen. This is how it started:

I cleaned up the cabinets really well, got rid of the backplates behind the handles (somehow despite the 80s oozing everywhere, the handles themselves are pretty cool), got new countertops and appliances, which involved having the cabinets lifted because the old owner put in that floor without doing so so the old appliances were blocked in. This is where we are now:

Note the lovely clean floor where we had the contractor straighten out the corner cabinet against the wall. It had been basically propped up in the corner with the original chair rail still behind it ^o)

I just finalized our new kitchen colors today. The painter should be able to start next week. The walls will be Morning Fog, except for the wall behind the sink and stove and the wall inside the corner cabinet, which'll be Serious Gray. I was going for gray with just a hint of blue. They'll also get the master bath (another crazy mess that's slowly improving), the trim in the front room and hallway that's currently really beat up and some new doors. So we'll have two rooms actually how we like them and a large area we walk through a lot that'll at least look put together and ready for us to finish painting on our own later.

weblet

You'll be adding nice value to those homes, and getting a lot of satisfaction having done it! Been there, done that. ;)

KThoune
Member Avatar

Thanks! Your house is awesome as well.. the cabinets and handles in our kitchen are very 50's esque so I am planning on cleaning it up and runnign with that theme (which you can see on my pinterest lol)

we are only doing the downstairs bathroom for now.. we need a new counter and sink, toilet and we plan on putting a shower in for sure possibly a new tub... the pics are from before it became run down a bit from not being used...

this is our "before we move in list"

1. CLEAN
2. Paint all rooms that we will be currently using (master, joeys, living, dining, kitchen, downstairs bath..)
3. new downstairs bath..
4. lowering raised floor in living room. it is raised for no reason at all..
5. run proper grounded wires for my office...

KThoune
Member Avatar

the stairs... not too exciting:
Posted Image

hall/landing upstairs... bathroom is right at top of stairs, joeys room on the right current spare/my office on left... that room will be split into an office and future baby's room:
Posted Image

Joey's room.... full of panelling, has a full wall of closets on one side and built in desk in it.. and cabinets...
Posted Image

Spare room.. it is 28 feet by 14 feet, just odd shaped a bit but i will split into 2 bed rooms one for use as an office and guest room (yes all of these pics are the same room):

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

upstairs bath (has a tiny shower) we will update within 5 years or so as a kids bathroom with a shower....
Posted Image

KThoune
Member Avatar

our backyard/outside... we will have .42 acre, a one car garage with attached 2 car shed on back, with garage door from driveway and into back yard... it is next to wooded area, so there is wildlife.. including deer.. the land includes that shed/ice fishing shanty inthe back and goes a bit beyond that as well

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Edited by KThoune, Sat Mar 7, 2015 10:26 am.

Matsunoki
Member Avatar

weblet, my husband and I joked that we upped the value by a few thousand just with our cleaning! The old owner was really unhappy with the price he got and we were just dumbfounded that he didn't put a few hundred into hiring a cleaner and also get better listing pictures (they were truly horrendous, our first visit was *just* in case it was decent but I really thought it would be walk in, walk right back out).

Kitt, you have a lot of work ahead of you! Are you just going to paint over the paneled walls? Our basement has old paneling that was painted beige and the only reason it's meh is the shade of beige they used. I can't wait to see what your kitchen looks like with the continued 50s theme :) I love your yard too! Our backyard is very small and crappy (a third grows grass, a third is all creeping charlie, and a third is too shady to grow anything at all) but we're down the street from a park so we don't mind.

Here's our bathroom before and after:
From our first visit. The curtains stayed *gag*
Posted Image
After wallpaper removal (a thank-you gift from some high school students we volunteer with):
Posted Image

The walls will be Spring Walk. It's going to make that pink tile stand out but whatever. I need to buy towel bars and stuff, and do something about the vent and recessed light above the tub (it's square), and figure out blinds for that one window on the right.

The other bathroom's pretty basic, and sometime before we have a kid we'll get the vanity (which looks okay here but inside it's nasty, thus it being fine until we actually have to use it) and flooring replaced. Since the vanity's an odd size and has a heating register in it, we'll be hiring someone for that, but the contractor we hired for the kitchen said it wouldn't be a big job.
From the first visit:
Posted Image
We started taking down that wallpaper and the good news is it's the one wallpapered room where they didn't use it to cover terribly-made walls and the color under it is an acceptable beige, but the bad news was before they wallpapered they repainted the trim - and because they were wallpapering they didn't bother avoiding the walls next to the trim. At least all that painting will be easy enough for us to do on our own.

KThoune
Member Avatar

we are going to paint over the paneled walls for now.. someday we will take it down but it isnt in the budget for now.. :) i have stuff to fill the gaps on the paneling and then we will paint.. (by we i mean hopefully not me...... ;) ;) ;) )

we do have work ahead of us, but the house is solid.. there is a nice basement, that can be finished as well that is along ways out tho ...

spinningplates

These houses are great! :) Putting work into a house truly makes it feel like yours.

mourinho
Member Avatar

Kitt, I loooove your kitchen cabinets and I'm so happy you're going with the midcentury theme! It's my favorite.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Adult Life · Next Topic »
Add Reply