Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Cultures Shocked. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you have attempted to register and are not receiving the authorization email, please email culturesshockedmods at gmail dot com with your user name and the email you registered with so we can manually approve you.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Students going home...
Topic Started: Fri Jun 5, 2015 7:20 am (1,426 Views)
weblet

I'm going to miss this one... Tuesday is not going to be a good day. :(
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

weblet

On the other hand, Lucas is back! (#3)

Matsunoki
Member Avatar

I don't know how you all do it. I get sad when the students I'm repping leave :( I already said good-bye to one, will do so for 2 next week and the last leaves in July.

weblet

Early on, a volunteer told me that the harder it is to say goodbye, the more tears there are at the end, the better the experience was. And it's true. I've had 2 where it was basically put them on the plane and say "bye". I feel bad about those - I feel guilty that somehow I failed them. So I would much rather everyone be in tears, because then I can say, "We had a really good year."

spinningplates

Oh I totally agree. It can be heartwrenching, though! Last year was a "bye, have a nice life," experience and I still feel bad that it didn't work out... but this time of year I still get nostalgic about the one that left four years ago. Between the two of us, we cried buckets in the airport. That was absolutely our best hosting year, though, and it's gotten easier (her yearly visits help).

In a couple of weeks, I'll say goodbye to the girl I'm liaison for. She's sweet... I doubt any tears will be shed, but it'll be a bittersweet goodbye. She actually asked if I would give her email address to our next student (who is also from Japan) so she could tell her about me. :)

weblet

spinningplates
Fri Jun 5, 2015 9:56 pm
She actually asked if I would give her email address to our next student (who is also from Japan) so she could tell her about me. :)
That's nice. I'm still in touch with a few students I helped thru problems. One is getting married in Dec - I wonder if I can get to Hong Kong, lol.

russalka

My family is dropping our Indonesian daughter off at orientation on Monday. It's going to be very tough for me and for her. I have been volunteering for 3 years and so far none of the kids I'm very close to have come back. My family got to visit our Norwegian daughter last year and this summer I'm going to visit my Brazilian nephew. Saving up for Indonesia will take quite a while.
I still need to write my goodbye letter for my Indonesian daughter and for a girl from India that I have become close to.

spinningplates

Not the same as saying goodbye to a full-year student, but our sweet little summer student is getting all sad about leaving on Wednesday! She, my daughter and I will be spending tomorrow night at a nice resort in Orlando so we won't have to make the drive there and back on Wednesday (the airport is about three hours away), so she's excited about that as well as sniffly about having to go home. She's also saying "when I come back," so I guess her plan is to come back to visit. ;)

I can't imagine getting her onto a plane if she'd come for a whole year! She was a great summer student, though, so I'm sure she'd have a great time if she did go abroad for a year-long exchange. We'll see!

weblet

The first group of departures is tomorrow... Not mine, but the YES/FLEX kids start leaving. I'll miss a few of this bunch.

russalka

Our YES/FLEX kids are leaving in mid-June. The FLEX girl is going to have a hard time. She doesn't want to leave so she picked the last possible date.
I looked back at my earlier post from a year ago. My Norwegian daughter is unexpectedly coming back this summer. and my Brazilian nephew came with his family last January. I'm going in June to visit my Indonesian daughter!!! I know two kids from two years ago who are coming back in August. Mostly, they will be with their families, but both wanted to spend some time with me too.
For this year, I have a good relationship with my liaisee and a couple of other students. Right now, though, nothing is as close a relationship as in the prior three years.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Parents of Potential, Current & Past Exchange Students · Next Topic »
Add Reply