Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Cultures Shocked. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you have attempted to register and are not receiving the authorization email, please email culturesshockedmods at gmail dot com with your user name and the email you registered with so we can manually approve you.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
EVS
Topic Started: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:14 pm (566 Views)
Pasaulis

Well, it seems I am officially going to be spending next year as an EVS (European Voluntary Service) volunteer in Vilnius, Lithuania (where I just spent my Uni exchange) starting from early September. I don't think I've seen anyone on the boards, old or new, who's gone on an EVS project, but that's probably because most of you guys are non-European citizens/residents. But it's a really nice opportunity, part of the new Erasmus+ program.

In case some of you are interested, click HERE for some more info :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matsunoki
Member Avatar

I actually ran across a blog by an EVS volunteer while doing some research recently. It looked really cool! What type of work will you be doing?

weblet

Always good to have info on a program that might be of interest to the board!

Pasaulis

Matsunoki
Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:30 pm
I actually ran across a blog by an EVS volunteer while doing some research recently. It looked really cool! What type of work will you be doing?

I will be working in an organization that does rehab for handiccaped people. They also help other handiccaped people learn new skills to be able to find a job. As I have no medical experience or knowledge, my work will be in organizing activities for the users of the center (like sports, creative activities, cooking, ...), helping out with promoting the center and its activities, and as they're trying to develop international cooperation with other similar centers, they'd like me to teach the employees English. And since they're also trying to integrate the users of the center into the job market, they'd also like me to teach them English.
Not sure how the whole teaching thing is going to go, since I have no proper experience of teaching a language to what I believe to be beginers or at least people with a very low level. Not to mention the fact that it's not my mother tongue (I'd have been more comfortable teaching French, to be honest, but realistically speaking, they don't really need French :D ), even if I do have a degree in the language, and I'm comfortable doing pretty much anything in English: I still make mistakes sometimes, and I'd hate to teach something wrong by accident. On the positive side, that'll probably force me to use Lithuanian to communicate with the people I'll be teaching, quite early on :P .
But anyway, that will only be a small part of my mission, so hopefully the whole thing will turn out ok.

Something that's good with EVS, also, is that travel to your host country is (mostly) funded, you are given an accomodation for the duration of the program free of charge, you are given a public transportation card or equivalent, you get food money (or get your food reimbursed), and you get pocket money. I might have to add some money to the mix in order to live more comfortably, but overall the year shouldn't cost me more than a few hundred euros, and it doesn't even HAVE to. Not to mention that I'm probably going to learn life skills I wouldn't have been able to learn had I been doing something else this year. Overall, I'm quite happy with my choice :)
Edited by Pasaulis, Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:45 am.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Volunteering Abroad · Next Topic »
Add Reply