Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Cultures Shocked. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you have attempted to register and are not receiving the authorization email, please email culturesshockedmods at gmail dot com with your user name and the email you registered with so we can manually approve you.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NSLI-Y
Topic Started: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:02 pm (1,714 Views)
mburucuja

NSLI-Y is a fully-funded program sponsored by the US State Department designed to increase US citizens' knowledge of Arabic, Chinese, Hindi, Korean, Persian, Russian, and Turkish through sponsoring programs abroad for high school students and recent grads. They offer summer and school year options, implemented through a variety of programs including AFS, American Councils, iEARN, ACES, and others.

Some NSLI-Y scholarships (like the AFS year ones) are basically just funding your tuition to participate in a traditional exchange with some supplemental activities in addition to attending a local high school. Others (like summer and American Councils ones) are basically freestanding programs that'll have you spending 4+ hours per day in language courses rather than including a high school experience.

Most programs use host families, though some use a combination of hosts and dorms.

For the 2016-2017, the eligibility criteria are:
-US citizen
-2.5 GPA or higher
-Enrolled in high school at the time of application
-Birthdate between July 10, 1997 and June 10, 2001 for summer programs; birthdate between September 30, 1997 and June 30, 2001 for academic year programs
-Not a previous participant in a ECA-sponsored exchange program of more than 8 weeks (so YES, CBYX, another NSLI-Y year, etc.)
-Not an immediate family member of someone who works with the ECA division of the State Department.

Applications are due on October 29th this year.

I spent a summer in Turkey with NSLI-Y a few years back, and I'm happy to help out if anyone has questions about the application process! :) Go apply!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mburucuja

Is anyone here applying?

azafran

I'm an Oman summer '14 alum, also very happy to answer any questions!

I'm applying for Arabic year (which would be in Morocco) :)

heidi

azafran
Mon Sep 7, 2015 3:47 pm
I'm an Oman summer '14 alum, also very happy to answer any questions!

I'm applying for Arabic year (which would be in Morocco) :)
Ooh, good luck! Are you still planning to apply to YES too?

azafran

thanks!
No, given it a lot of thought but decided that I don't want to do another traditional high-school exchange, and I really want to focus on Arabic.

mburucuja

Neat. Is Morocco always just language classes?

Since you'll be 18 (right?) you might want to consider applying for some less-structured, low-cost options too, like WWOOF, IVHQ, or even au pairing. I never recommend those things in lieu of HS exchange, but you've already got that experience. :)

azafran

Yep, although there's usually the opportunity to volunteer in a normal elementary school class throughout the year. Main reason they never put NSLIY kids in Moroccan high schools because the urban high schools are all taught in French, and the US is paying for you to learn Arabic :)

I'm not sure if I'll do a gap year if I don't get NSLI-Y, but if I do au-pairing is high on the list.

mburucuja

Cool. I wish they'd start/bring back programs in some other countries. Egypt seems like it'd certainly be stable enough again, and I've heard Tunisia thrown around a couple times.

Yeah, au pairing seems like a great option if you do your research and like kids. I thought about doing it this past summer but the dates didn't work out. It still may be an option for a summer in the future. I dunno though, I spend all my time with kids during the year so I actually enjoy spending time with adults in the summer...

azafran

Makes sense that spending time with adults would be a nice break :)

I really wish they would too--Morocco seems fascinating, but there are so many other places that would be just as interesting (and way better for learning Arabic too. Darija is so cool as a language, but from what my friends who've done NSLIY Morocco say, it isn't too fun when you're primarily learning fusHa).

They had Oman as a year program in the 2013-14 year, but then the Omani government got really persnickety about visas. The visa situation has gotten increasingly harder, starting with my year,--hopefully NSLIY people are still able to go in summers.

heidi

The US government and AMideast have had issues with the Omani Ministry of Education in recent years, as I've heard - the YES Abroad Oman program was actually cancelled this year

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Program-Specific Questions · Next Topic »
Add Reply