Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Cultures Shocked. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you have attempted to register and are not receiving the authorization email, please email culturesshockedmods at gmail dot com with your user name and the email you registered with so we can manually approve you.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
House flipping/rehab
Topic Started: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:42 pm (520 Views)
WV Mom

When the kids were in college, we purchased a cute-as-a-button bungalow, built in 1931, for them to live in. Now that they're real live grownups and living elsewhere, we're getting it ready to sell.

Instead of doing a quick cosmetic make-over, we've decided to rehab it. I know, for example, that we're going to remove the leaky radiators and electric baseboard heating and install a high-efficiency gas-forced-air heating system with air conditioning. We also plan to put in a new kitchen, turning the wall between the kitchen and dining room into a half wall/island. We may rewire and install a bigger electrical panel (currently 120 amps), but that's TBD (to be determined). Also TBD are a remodeled bathroom -- actually, two of them -- and a new roof.

Has anyone ever done anything like this? If so, I could use your advice. If not, I'd still value your opinions.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

spinningplates

I have not done that... What I would do, though, is consult with a realtor, who can do a CMA for you based on the house as it is, as well as one for a completely renovated house. This way, you can see if it will likely be worth it; he or she will also have suggestions on what is more likely to increase the value of the house, and what is less likely.

WV Mom

We've already met with two realtors who, of course, had different ideas about what to do. ^o) But this isn't just about return on investment. I also want the experience and, in the end, I want to feel like a good steward of an old property.

Most recently I've been researching 1930s wallpaper. If I were going to live in the house, I'd either use an authentic or reproduced 1930s pattern. Since I'm not going to live in the house -- and since specialty wallpaper is at least three times higher than other wallpaper -- I'm going to do something else. I love Love LOVE historic wallpapers, but a prospective buyer may not share my design aesthetic. How could someone not love this?

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Adult Life · Next Topic »
Add Reply